AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So much for peak oil.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

haymaker
Posted 6/5/2011 23:22 (#1806960 - in reply to #1806851)
Subject: Natural gas

NE Colorado
I live in the middle of the Denver Julesburg basin in NE Colo. I remember when the first oil and gas producing well was drilled here in 1972 and nearly 40 years later the drilling is at the most intense pace I have ever seen.

Hydraulic fracturing has always been necessary here but now the big thing is horizontal drilling. These wells can go horizontally for a mile underground and have tremendous yields of both oil and gas.

With all of the gas being produced and exported out of state here, one would think we would be burning it. Six mcf of gas yield as much energy as one barrel of oil, that's $24 worth of gas to $100 of oil.

Not even the oil and gas companies operating around here burn their own product. I can't figure it out.

Then in Denver there is a company called Rentech which has technology to produce liquid fuel out of natural gas and they do nothing but a trial run now and then and that's it. If they can't convert gas to liquid fuel now when oil is four to five times as expensive for its energy equivalent they will never do it.

I was in Argentina a few years ago. One can drive from one end of the country to the other all on natural gas. Here one had better not stray too far from the scant few places where one can fill up with nat gas.

Seems this country would rather keep importing huge amounts of oil from hostile countries abroad.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)