AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any thoughts on setting up a silage pile?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

starvation
Posted 5/21/2011 11:18 (#1784528 - in reply to #1784258)
Subject: Re: Any thoughts on setting up a silage pile?/garvo

mn
I do agree a 4 wheeler will do a great job, but if I understand the first ? of post, he is only talking 3-400 ton. I am not saying one over the other, but for a small job, and yes in todays ways a 3-400 ton job is small. In the fall we got two baggers that we do custom bagging with, a 9'er and a 10'er. and we are not as busy as used to be cause (I think) the big dairys and big beef guys, are chopping way more acers then used to, also they hire the chopping job done. a pile is fine. heck I do/did both, if we got a part of a bag that we cut off, I'll fill it at home, or if baggers a gone I'll pile and pack. that said I'm down to only 20 cows and feed calves out on selffeeder. so I personally have not chopped corn for a few yrs now. farming, milking and cattle feeding has and is changing so fast, what worked for dad, what is working for me and you, will be old thinking to our grandkids. LOL, but after saying that I started picking corn on the ear again last couple yrs, puting it in the crib and grinding with an ol 1150 ih mixer again. LOL remember I only got 20 cows. and as everyone that has ever feed cattle says " that darn earcorn is hard to beat, cattle love it, there is something about that cob " . be safe today :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)