AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does anyone have a rebuilder for Rogator wheel motors?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MMiller
Posted 5/11/2011 21:53 (#1770236 - in reply to #1768045)
Subject: Re: Does anyone have a rebuilder for Rogator wheel motors?

SW Iowa

I'll try this again Mark, last night I had a comment all typed out and it didn't post, so here goes.  When I was working on Gators, we only field serviced the wheel motors on 8-1254s, 8,10,1264 and 74s.  The 664s had to be shipped into a hydro shop, but they hardly ever failed, and not many were made.

When I tore them down in the field(meaning customers cite,gravel driveway,cornfield,) we mainly were going after reseals, keeping mass quanities of oil from leaking out of the lip seal.  However the entire wheel motor has to be disassembled to reseal it.  If it needed new wheel bearings, I would change them out, and I stocked the seal rings around the spindle, because there was always a possiblity of breaking them on reassembly.  If the cam ring had any pits in the hard service, or damage to the rollers, we put on a reman.  If the distributor block was gouged too far to smooth out, and leaking between the block and cylinder block we put a reman.  While I never personally did not price the parts, it was a better deal for the customer to get a reman with warranty, then have us try to field service the hard parts.

If you tear into them, be farwarned.  Some motors don't care which way they turn, but some were setup for certain rotation.  A motor can be put together to run CW or CCW, but if you take one apart that is CCW and you don't put it together right, it will turn CW, unless you reverse the A and B lines.  If I took apart a wheel motor on the right side of the machine, and did not get it together right, it would want to turn backwards, meaning I would have to pull the motor back apart and try again.  If you break a seal ring, you may not know it happened until you put it on and go for a test drive.  When you shift, it may or may not shift, you may be missing certain "gears", plus the chunks for seal ring end up in the charge relief valve dropping charge pressure.  So then again you get to tear it back down.  I did have one or two that I broke seal rings and ended up having to replace the motor because it was ruined internally.

I've said it before on here, but if I never see the inside of another wheel motor, it will be too soon.  They were not a bad job, and it was not a bad day to do two wheel motor reseals in a day, but it was a full 6-8 hrs of wrenching, throwing heavy parts, and handling sharp parts, plus the stress of blowing one up.  I would much rather overhaul engines or tranmissions then wheel motors. 

Michael

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)