AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Earth heat for shop - anyone do this
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Posted 3/31/2011 00:07 (#1700185 - in reply to #1689769)
Subject: Re: Earth heat for shop - anyone do this

west central Iowa
KDD - 3/25/2011 17:28

It seems to me it would not really accomplish much for heating. A well insulated and sealed shop would already have much of the benfit of ground temperature beneath the shop floor in the winter, and would seldom get below 35-40 degrees or so if the building is tight. After all, a 60 x60 building (with an insulated perimeter foundation or footer) would already be equal in earth exposure to 1200' of tile, if you assume a tile can get heat from a 3' wide area. And the heat from that tile is never going to be much above 40 degrees itself. I think you would be spinning your wheels.

Cooling might have more of a temperature differential, but it would be very moist air if coming from a tile drain, and i don't think you could keep water out of a solid tile anyway.

I've been in plenty of well insulated, tight buildings that were well below freezing without any additional heat, such as a 20x50 concrete floor farrowing house that was very well insulated. The ground temperature 10 feet down is higher than 40 degrees so the air from the tile should warmer than 40,especially since he was recirculating air form the building not pulling in fresh air.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)