AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gelbvieh vs Charolais question......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 3/6/2011 10:25 (#1653438)
Subject: Gelbvieh vs Charolais question......

The Gelbvieh discussion below got me thinking, although I don't think I'm ready to venture into a 3-way cross just yet. As a Hereford and baldy guy, my limited experience with both Gelb and Char leaves the impression that Gelbvieh is not as docile as Charolais. Most Charolais calves I have been around out of baldy cows have been extremely docile, some actually seem more docile than Herefords.

A neighbor uses my corral each year to do his fall shots. He runs black and baldy cows with Char calves at side. The difference in the way his cattle work and the other neighbor's straight black cattle who uses my pasture there work through the same setup is like night and day. Those straight black Angus seem to be bouncing off the wall constantly.

I've always liked the product of a baldy cow bred to a Char bull. Years ago a neighbor bred Char to Hereford cows and that seemed like a good cross. I can imagine a black balancer Gelbvieh bred to a straight black or baldy cow would throw some nice big straight black calves. What about a balancer on Hereford cows? Seems that instant 3 way cross would bring about a larger frame black baldy calf than the traditonal Hereford/Angus X? Or would the color or markings somehow be off? Just letting my imagination wander on a cold winter day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)