AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Packer Width
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dbmaguet
Posted 6/17/2007 23:08 (#163746 - in reply to #163665)
Subject: RE: Packer Width

Ste. Rose, MB
I've never actually heard that before. Always believed that narrower the packer, less hp it took, but maybe someone else can confirm that. We have 3" rubber packers on our drill, we actually would have preferred 4 or even 5.5 but everything else was right on the drill so we decided to go for it. Wouldn't want steel packers, mud sticks after them quite a bit if it's in wet conditions, I would believe that the steel would be harder to pull & lots of them are somewhat V shaped, which I personally don't like, the seed can end up to deep with the V shaped packers. Consensus over the years has been that if you have lots of stones, go for steel, but people are starting to switch from that idea. Steel packers seem to get banged up & dinted in stones & after 10 years, they usually need to be welded up & recapped. Mind you the rubbers can get cut up & need to be replaced as well. Rubber will shed mud better then steel, as the rubber will flex & clean itself. Guys with steel around here complain about the mud sticking all the time, but we are usually wetter on average then dry in the spring. Seems like every region has their preference. We're in western Manitoba, I would think that there are more rubber packers around then steel.
What do most people use in your area?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)