AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New GM Vehicle Oil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Indianajones
Posted 2/18/2011 11:49 (#1621286 - in reply to #1621184)
Subject: RE: New GM Vehicle Oil

GM maintains that you have to use the Dexos oil or the equivalent in 2011 vehicles or it voids the engine warranty. I believe that our dealership retails it for about $5/quart. They also claim that the change interval is 7500 miles or when change oil light comes on. Given the history of the engine, I WOULD WANT MY ENGINE WARRANTY INTACT.
I THINK IT IS A LOAD OF CRAP.
I had the opportunity ot mee ta GM Field Engineer a couple weeks back. He was in the shop dealing with another issue( a completly different story) and He was asking about the rash of electrical issues I had seen on brand new vehicles. I asked about the 3.6 timing chain issue and he said the problem stems from not changing the oil soon enough. GM for years has preached to it's customers to change oil when the service oil light come son and not before. This interval depending on driving habits can be as long as 12k miles which is entirely too long for the 3.6 engine. Engines serviced much sooner have no issue with the timing chain.
He stated that ALL new vehicles with the 3.6 engine have programmed into them a 7500 mile hard cap for the service light. He said he was pushing for a recall to reprogram older vehicles but it was NOT going to happen.
How would GM prove you didn't use the proper proper oil? How will you prove you did?
I do not have any answers.
AS I stated above, I think it is crap. Use a quality oil and filter changed on a regular basis and you engine will last for a long time. I do not believe synthetics are worth the price and do not believe in extended oil change intervals due to using them.
The above info is supplied for information only. I am not a GM big shot making policy and this is 1 thing in a huge list that a lot of here do not like from GM.
Just Sayin...
INDY
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)