AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

C15- coolant in oil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

IH-Harvester
Posted 1/31/2011 10:40 (#1583138)
Subject: C15- coolant in oil

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 PM

I had a problem with my 6nz c15 getting oil into the radiator last summer. I pulled the oil cooler and tested it hot at the CAT dealer and it checked out ok so I put it back on. Next I replaced the bendix air compressor as recommended by my local shop owner as I was getting a lot of oil into my air tanks also. That seemed to totally fix the problem after flushing the whole system multiple times. We had a very busy but good harvest. The truck ran great the whole way through. I kept a close eye on the oil and the coolant almost everytime that I started it. The coolant stayed crystal clear red. The last time I cheacked the oil was right before new years, added about 1/2 a gallon and then drove all weekend hauling corn and put about 600 miles on it. I pulled it in the shop yesterday to fix a couple lights and figured I'd check the oil and coolant again. Pulled the dipstick and all I saw was grey oil and bubbles on the dipstick. Looked in the coolant tank and there is oil in there again. I really got a bad sick feeling when I saw that. So here I am again thinking that I might not get out of this one so lucky. When I had the oil cooler tested last time by CAT, they recommended replacing it because it was starting to crack and come apart. But dumb me put it back on because it didn't fail the leak test. Could this be my problem this time? I had about an extra gallon or two of water in the oil pan. This seems like a lot to pass in only 600 miles or one weekend of running. What else would dump that much water in the pan that quick? Any suggestions? Can you see a coolant drip at the oil filter housing with the oil filter off and pressurizing the coolant system?

I'll probably pull the pan in a week or so and pressurize it to see if I have any drips. I always thought an oil cooler could pass oil into the coolant but I guess its possible to let the water push back through with the engine off and pressure on the radiator.

Edited by IH-Harvester 1/31/2011 18:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)