AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Snowmobile machinery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

davpal
Posted 1/25/2011 01:16 (#1571112 - in reply to #1569366)
Subject: RE: Snowmobile machinery

Mid Michigan
I think spending $10 or $12 thousand dollars on any snowmobile is ridiculous. I guess it depends on how much a guy likes his hobby. Craigslist is just crammed full of affordable nice sleds that can be bought for a song. You didn't really say what you wanted to spend but there are a ton of choices. Living in Illinois a mountain sled would probably not work very well. They don't like to be ridden on low snow conditions. Really ride rough. For as cheap as you can buy a nice used sled I wouldn't even consider a two up sled. They're really not very fun for the rider or the driver. I ride a 440 Arctic Cat snow cross sled that is a riot to ride anywhere. Every time I ride that a crowd of people want to see what it is and check it out closer. They are very affordable to buy used and the sled seems to be rock solid reliable. Mine is the 440 fan that is 66 hp. Unreal how it runs. Has the 1 1/4 paddle track and very long travel front and rear suspension. Makes you seem like a lot better rider than you actually are! Will do about 93 mph on a good day. Lot of fun factor in the smaller fan cooled sleds and the price is very good. 570 Arctic Cat Z is also a rock solid sled for the price. Some of the dealerships have screaming deals on leftover models from 1-2 or even 3 years old still in the crate. I really don't care for the 4 stroke Yamaha's because they weigh about 900 lbs and are kind of like driving a Honda Goldwing on the snow! My neighbor bought one (he already totalled it) but when he opened the hood I thought it was everything I don't want in a snowmobile. Just a pure cluster@##K under the hood like you wouldn't believe and as big as a tank. Polaris makes a lot of very good reliable fan cooled sleds that will be affordable, reliable, and easy to maintain. Made in the USA. I buy some Arctic wear that I pick up either at a snow show or on ebay. Lot of nice snowmobile clothes out there at just about any dealership.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)