AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I am sick of my job!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Outdoor Dave
Posted 12/13/2010 17:19 (#1483962 - in reply to #1483911)
Subject: Re: I am sick of my job!!!

SE Nebraska
Check the manufacturers websites, (ie Monsanto, Dow etc) and see what is available as a territory rep. Otherwise, check with competitors without breaking whatever non-compete you signed. Just be careful, as the hint of someone looking can be a quick toss out the door. Talk to the GM, they may not be looking at things the way you do. Having started as a grunt and working my way up to GM, the view is much different. A whole different set of concerns. When I was a salesman, P/L wasnt part of my vocabulary much, but it is what I live and die by now. Many people don't understand the true costs of "throwing in the application." I figured recently that it costs me over $9 an acre to do application, not figuring interest expense. That means there has to be margin in the rest of the deal to cover that. Not picking on you with that one, just an example to illustrate how there can be different views. Ask your GM what their target market really is. Is it every acre at any cost? Always be the cheapest guy? Never the cheapest but have the best service? Cater to the direct ship, self apply market? They all have different strategies, and knowing what your direction is makes a huge difference. I have seen places that try to be everything to everyone, but invariably then end up being nothing to noone. Maybe the GM, sales staff and the board (if there is one) needs to sit down and decide on a direction. As far as the gossip mill, I have been known to call people out on that one. If they are employees, I expect a professional demeaner. That includes at the bar after work. I have suspended someone until they wrote and delivered a letter of apology for the gossip thing. It just causes problems. Email is in profile if you have other questions. Good luck. My rule of thumb is no matter how much money you are making, if it is a miserable situation, it will stay a miserable situation.

Edited by Outdoor Dave 12/13/2010 17:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)