AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Free or low cost safe browsing idea
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 12/1/2010 20:12 (#1463834 - in reply to #1463676)
Subject: Re: Free or low cost safe browsing idea

We did that for about a year with a computer that I built about 8 years ago after the hard drive went out on it for about the 4th time. That thing ate hard drives, I don't know why. Still worked well for checking weather, newagtalk, etc. If you know what you're doing you can install flash with minimal time commitment, especially if you had the appropriate stuff downloaded on your USB drive. Heck, I did it in about 10 minutes and I don't really know what I'm doing in Ubuntu and I didn't have the stuff downloaded to begin with. Quick Google search and a quick download and I was able to use flash as well. I would imagine you could do the same with Java but I haven't looked in to it.

Having an Ubuntu CD laying around is a good investment just because of the tools that it gives you in terms of a live operating system from the CD and also disk management software that let's you be much more specific in what you want to do than what most operating systems allow. Since most of the stuff I work with uses multiple partitions and I also like to have multiple operating systems, I frequently boot into the Live CD and partition the hard drive from within Linux and then proceed with the installation of whatever operating system I am installing.

Windows 7 for a good new secure useful operating system, Windows XP for the older programs that we still like to use and Ubuntu to learn on. Wish I could afford an Apple to learn about OS X but it's just not in the cards for me. I could afford it if it could do everything my Windows computer can do, but since it cannot, I will not be able to afford it until it can. Maybe in a few years that will happen or maybe never.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)