AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What parts do I need to make my litter/lime buggy do VR?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/25/2010 13:46 (#1453689 - in reply to #1453660)
Subject: RE: What parts do I need to make my litter/lime buggy do VR?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I would advise looking at D.G.'s as it appears from the Mapdots that you are reasonably close to each other.

Nothing beats seeing a working machine and talking with someone who has experience.

Your Insight should work fine. The modules involved will be the Auxiliary Input Module and the Dry Spreader module. There are actually three Dry Spreader module types. These are the Single channel, Three channel and Five Channel modules. As the names indicate the last two can handle multiple bins.

The Single channel is no longer produced and is only supported by the Insight. On the Edge and Integras, the Configuration setup menu only allows the Three or Five Channel models. The Edge will only work with one of the three or five channels. The Integra can work with all the potential channels with the Multi-product unlock.

The Edge and Integra will recognize the single channel modules but cannot work with them. The Insight can work with any of the three models.

We have a used Single Channel module trade-in from a customer that has traded in his Insight for an Integra. This module might work out well for you.

As you have indicated you will need some type of bed sensor. The output from the bed sensor leads to the Spreader Module.

You will also need some type of hydraulic control valve and a hydraulic drive for the bed. As D.G. indicates there is a Servo type and a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) type. The Ag Leader modules will work with either. I would suggest the PWM type as the system can "remember" the previous setting and jump to that setting when application is resumed. The Servo type needs to open up and hunt a bit to lock on to the target rate.

The hyd control is an output from the module. The spreader modules do not have boom outputs like a liquid module for a sprayer has. They expect the bed will be stopped by stopping the hydraulic flow to the bed.

We usually use the a PWM valve from Raven. The hydraulic portion is actually a Brand valve that Raven has adapted to use with their controllers. These valves work well with the Ag Leader modules. The valves come in various capacities. The capacitiy should be matched to the hyd systems needs for best performance.

The modules also have the ability to monitor and/or control a Fan. If desired (not necessary), a sensor can be placed on the Fan so that the Fan speed can be observed. The Fan speed could also be controlled if a PWM hyd valve was installed in the Fan's hydraulic circuit. The setup menu allows you to do nothing, monitor or control the Fan. A PWM valve is the only type supported for Fan speed control.

The Auxiliary Input module is needed as this is how the status of your spread switch is transferred into the system. With a single boom situation such as this, it is not necessary to use the Ag Leader 10 Boom box. If one is available it can be used but a single toggle switch is usually preferred.

Once the system is setup, the static calibration Wizard is used to determine the Cubic Feet/Revolution of your rig. The basic idea is to meter out some real product in the dooryard and weigh what is dispensed. By entering the weight and density of the product dispensed, the system is able to fine tune the CFR number. From then on, the density and desired rate are entered as the CFR number is assumed to be constant with a given gate height.

There is also another wizard that can be used to refine the CFR number even more. This is an after the fact calibration where you enter in the known weight of material applied. The system then refines its CFR number to get the applied weight to more closely agree with the known weight.

For a VR situation, the target rates come from an Rx file stored on a memory card.

Edited by tedbear 11/25/2010 14:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)