AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wind Turbines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

john holland
Posted 11/14/2010 17:18 (#1435733 - in reply to #1435665)
Subject: Re: Wind Turbines

SE MN
I don't have personal experience, but here are a few items to consider:

Do they have all the electronics figured out to provide you with real power and are they included. Wind turbines create pretty messy power because they are always spinning at different speeds. Make sure they have the hardware to turn this into good power.

Think about position of it. Will it throw a shaddow on the house at any time? Some people have major problems with the strobing effect of the spinning blades. Will it throw ice in a dangerous spot? If a part falls off will it be dangerous? They make some noise. The worst complaints are about mechanical noises, squeaks or bangs that happen every time it goes around.

Who is installing and maintaining it? If you are relying on a warranty or ongoing service, ask for lots of references nearby and go talk to the people. Ask them how far away the service people are based, how much of thier time is spent on wind turbines, and what kind of qualifications they have.

Ask for the engineering drawings for the foundation and the manufacturer's requirements. If you can't understand these, get some help from and engineer or someone who works in construction. You might consider requiring engineer stamped plans. It is very common for contractors to cut corners in situations like this because they know that nobody with technical knowledge is watching them.

You probably want to check on zoning, permits, etc. at the courthouse. I don't know if they care about wind mills but they might.

That is all I can think of now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)