AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 630 carb problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JoshuaGA
Posted 11/10/2010 22:10 (#1430434 - in reply to #1430320)
Subject: RE: John Deere 630 carb problem

Sumner GA, Located in southwest GA,
twraska - 11/10/2010 21:09

The 630's had an automatic fuel shut off on them, worked by engine oil pressure. This kept the fuel out of the engine when stopped. The carb's fuel needle was never real good at keeping the fuel shut off. It was a steel needle on a brass seat. Later some had a rubber tip which held the fuel but tended to stick shut, so choose your poison. With that said, I'd still say you have a bad carb. Does it have a gasket under the seat preventing the fuel from going around the needle? The needle should hold the fuel at bay for at least a few hours unless the float is bad. The load needle can be 'broke' in that the top cone came off and is stuck in the carb body. This will make the engine run BAD and lack power.

The backfiring sounds like an ignition problem. Maybe a bad distributor cap, timing issue or advance not working properly. Now if the issue is missing out under load but idles OK then it is probably some internal passages blocked. Most likely the ones under the small 'freeze plugs' on the side of the carb.

I have followed your problems over the past few weeks, don't give up on it. It will still do it's share of the work when you get it going right. I learned to drive on a 630, started farming with it and my son still has it. They were pretty good for their time,

Our 630 no longer has a automatic fuel shutoff. Had 2 fail one after another and dad put a manual valve in place. Dad thought the old carb caused it to burn too much gas, would smell gassy after running it all day, but ran good, didn't backfire, nothing other than it was thirsty rather it was idleing around or full power. Replaced it and the fun started, particulary with the backfiring, has expanded the muffler and bent up the rain cap, blew it off yesterday. Wish I could find a good diagram of how those particular carbs work. And for the record, this is a good tractor, got the clutch fixed, if I get it running right again, it will be perfect mechanically, mostly origional.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)