AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wild Hog Problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gifford
Posted 10/20/2010 01:36 (#1400771 - in reply to #1400421)
Subject: Re: Wild Hog Problem

East Kansas, DeSoto
One interesting event in my very young life at age 6 or 7 my father ran a country store well out between two towns and this lady cam in a Chevrolet coupe a model prior to the twenties. I have not seen one like it before or since and I was pumping gas in those days the old glass and hand pump varieties. They did not want to trust such a little guy but I pumped lots of gasoline. She wanted it filled up and I could only get in 3 gallon. She was really getting after me but I did not want to tell her the problem. She weighed more than 300 pounds and car sank down on her side and gasoline would not run uphill into the tank. She got out angrily and then in went the gasoline. I did not think I should tell her what the problem was. I will see if I can post some pictures of the old station and our model T truck hauling the big to us underground tank to bury, In those days you checked the oil. checked the radiator, washed the windshield and about 90 per cent of the time you were asked to test the tire pressure with a gauge. Tires did not last very long in those days. I have been asked many times buy friends who know my past to write a book and I did it in the form of Memoirs so some of it is family oriented. I my lifetime did it all. After leaving the station we went to the farm. Had a hitch in the Air Force for 3 years We had some of the first tractors in area, threshing machine. sawmill, sorghum making, stationary baling to square engine mounted pull behind, first round balers in area, first combine then to first diesel combine reportedly sold in Iowa, first John Deere 70 diesel sold west of the Mississippi, had Sheppard Diesels too, moved houses, soil conservation work and road building then to implement dealer and then to food industry which I retired from at 68 years of age and they got me back as consultant but at 78 I said I am gone so I have been around a while. Built a 2 story earth sheltered home and was written up in 4 or 5 national magazines and had 8000 plus letters to answer from that but they had $4.00 in them. Well I have rambled on. If interested I could make available by Memoirs for $ 15 plus some postage. It is 100 pages about Successful Magazine size. Thanks for the comments you enjoy my posts. Some think I am loco being on the computer at my age. Gifford

Edited by Gifford 10/20/2010 08:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)