AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pissed with the firefighters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 10/8/2010 04:41 (#1387845 - in reply to #1387754)
Subject: Re: Mutual Aid in Illinois now involves MABAS

West Union, Illinois

MarlandS - "here" Mutual Aid is done on a FD by FD agreement if X won't agree to a mutual aid contract with Y , the no mutual aid happens .
Yes ... and no.  Departments still have mutual aid agreements.  However in Illinois MABAS has, well, not replaced mutual aid so much as enhanced it.  Go to http://www.mabas.org/AboutMABAS/Pages/MABASOverview.aspx and wander around a while. There is a lot of information there.

MABAS is a great thing.  It forces local departments to think ahead in case all **** breaks loose.  It provides a way to get almost any assistance you need.  Of course, you are agreeing to provide assistance to other departments in their time of need as well.

The biggest problem with MABAS (from my perspective) is it's management and operation comes from a career based department perspective.  The folks in charge don't always relate well to how some of us folks out in the sticks have to do things.  It isn't that they are right or wrong, it is a fact of life for us.  They operate in a much more structured and professional environment.

The "big boys" have specialized response teams trained and equipped for certain situations.  Our SOP is the first person jumps in Truck 1 and the second person jumps in Truck 2 and head for the smoke.  OK, not really ... most of the time.  But some days when people are at work and in the field our department may only have 2-3 people available for an initial response.

The career guys don't understand how we can work that way.

MABAS is geared toward the big departments.  But it provides me with quick access to whatever I need.  If a gasoline tanker wrecks on the highway I have a pre-planned response I can refer dispatch to.  If I need a foam truck from the refinery 20 miles down the road the procedure is in place to get it here. If the office building in the center of town 45 miles away goes up, thanks to MABAS there is already a plan in place to get needed equipment and manpower there and manage it.  That is what MABAS has done for us.

It has taken mutual aid to a higher level.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)