AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

People who only know ag through TV & movies
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

DRester
Posted 10/5/2010 18:45 (#1385091 - in reply to #1384034)
Subject: Re: People who only know ag through TV & movies

Franklinton, LA
I have been reading National Geographic magazine for several years. It seems that in each issue they have one or two articles where the writer slams agriculture about something. Their writers seem to thing we are still farming like we did in 1960. They don't seem to realize that we are now feeding 7 billion people on this planet rather than 3 billion.

I have been paying for my two son's National Geographic and my four grandchildren's National Geographic Chuildren's and National Geographic Little Children's magazines. One of my son's showed me some articles in the grandchildren's magazine. I will not renew 7 subscriptions to their magazines!

We need a mechanism for giving magazine writers a crash course in agriculture. Too many of these writers are slamming agriculture for the mistakes they think our grandparent's made. Very few writers realize how much time, hard work and money farmers have spent to improve the environment. Even fewer writers compliment farmers for the improvements they have made in the last 50 years.

Maybe 100 years from now they will be writing about the 20th century miracle. You know, where farmers replaced muscle power with machines, improved the environment and went from feeding about 1.5 billion people in 1900 to over 6 billion in 2000.

End of Rant!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)