AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

seed command on kinze planter help !!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/13/2007 05:37 (#135740 - in reply to #135671)
Subject: RE: seed command on kinze planter help !!!

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have some experience with this and will have more later today.

I am presently installing Seed Command on a Deere 1770 using the factory clutches. At the present, the clutch solenoids are operated by the Deere Harness. This planter is setup in two sections only.

My plan at the moment is to disconnect the Deere Harness at the clutch solenoids. I will mark and insulate these terminals but just leave them dangling so to speak disconnected from the solenoids.

I plan on making Weatherpak leads from the Seed Command output pairs (only need two pairs) to the Deere clutches. I have given some thought to trying to use the Deere wiring on the planter and "invade" it closer to the hitch.

The approach of removing the Deere wires and moving them to the side seems safer and should allow for fairly easy removal should this be necessary due to a planter trade or malfunction.

I have done a fair amount of playing around with various scenarios with Seed Command on my bench test stand. I have learned a few things about Seed Command that were not immediately obvious.

Seed Command is a very intelligent system in some respects as it checks for things that I didn't expect. Sometimes this checking has lead to confusion on my part.

For example, to do bench testing I had to create a "load" for each planter section that I planned on simulating. I created a section test box that consists of an LED for each proposed section. Seed Command sends out a low voltage to each section that it believes should be present even when that section is ON (that is planting). It sends out a high voltage to each section that it believes should be OFF (not Planting) to stop that section.

The system checks on this "electrical load" to determine if that section is at all present. In this way, the system can report back via the screen some electrical problems. For example, on either an Air Valve system or a Clutch system, the number of sections is defined in the configuration. The system checks to determine if the correct electrical load is present on the proper wires, if not an error message is displayed.

This would be very handy on a working system if a wire to one of sections became disconnected for some reason. The system would notice that the electrical load was not there and give an error message.

But now to your problem. I have noticed that on bench testing, if I setup a new configuration with a different number of sections that strange things can happen.

For example, if I was simulating a two section planter and then decided to play with a three section planter I would need to do several things. First I would need to build a three section configuration. If I go to the RUN screen at this point I will get an error message saying that the configuration doesn't match the equipment. Then I remember to add the electrical load for section 3. Again I will get an error message indicating that the clutch module sections don't match. At this point I go to the planting setup screen and configure the clutches. The system then goes out and checks the electrical loads for a match with the configuration chosen. If the electrical loads are present on the proper places, I can continue.

At this point, I should be ready to test. When I go to the run screen I don't get any error messages but strangely the planter sections ON/OFF don't seem to work as I had expected. Sections 1 and 2 seem to work properly but the new Section Three seems to be dead.

The solution is simple. Power down the Insight and Repower it up. When the system is shut off, the clutches are not powered (engaged). When you power up the system with the Master Switch OFF (either since it is OFF or the Imp Switch is in the non planting position), the system will disengage (power up) all solenoids. Then when the planter is lowered and the Master turned ON, the sections will be "released" and all sections should plant. The system seems to need to do this cycling thing one time to get in sync.

This may or may not be part of your problem. I have decided that the system apparently needs to cycle each section after a configuration change. In day to day field operations this should not be a problem since the configuration as far as sections will not be changing.

Possibly if you test today, everything will have "healed up". Another thought is power consumption. Was the tractor running when you did these tests? The four clutch system will take a fair amount of power to disengage all the clutches at the same time. I notice that the clutch wiring harness has 10 AWG wire leading to the module for eventual use by the solenoids. At an Ag Leader meeting that there was concern expressed about this electrical load being considerable. If your power to the solenoids is at all questionable strange things can happen.

Please report back when you get this problem solved. Extra information is always helpful

Edited by tedbear 4/13/2007 05:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)