AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can I cross state line with farm plates
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hesston8465a
Posted 8/30/2010 23:01 (#1339725 - in reply to #1338990)
Subject: RE: Here is what I ....

Parsons Kansas
was told when I asked a DOT officer about this very same thing. I asked the question a few months ago when I was interested in buying a truck.

Now bear with as I'm in Kansas don't know about IL or IN.

Told him I wanted to buy a truck to haul hay with locally in my own state. I wanted to tag the truck with farm plates. He said as long as I stay in Kansas I could go anywhere in the state with my farm plates and be legal. I needed a CDL (I think) but didn't need a medical card.

As soon as I cross a state line, lets say to go pick up some equipment I bought, he said the rules change. Need a CDL, medical card, log book, DOT number, and bascially follow all the rules as a commercial driver would. Didn't ask him about IFTA. I would assume a guy could probably buy a fuel permit for a day or two to allow you to go and do whatever you are doing and get back home. By the time I got off the phone with him I was so mind boggled I had a headache and was more confused then before I called him.

To file for a IFTA I had to have a DOT number and I really don't want to go through the hassel of that yet. I haven't bought a truck yet but still looking for one.

As other replies on here suggest if it were me I would plan my trip carefully and go get what I wanted. Good luck Darren
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)