AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tree spade(mover) size ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

radman1
Posted 8/25/2010 20:35 (#1332167 - in reply to #1330829)
Subject: RE: Tree spade(mover) size ?

I have a 36" skid mounted spade and 44" trailer mounted spade. General rule of thumb is 12" of spade diameter for each 1" diameter of trunk. Trunk measured about 1' above the ground. You can push the diameter of the trunk higher but your risk of dying will increase, however I do it frequently but give the tree a little TLC for a while. Cedars and evergreens can be moved about anytime but best not to move when really hot or dry. Leaf trees really should be moved when they are dormant. Really important to heavily water in any new transplanted tree. Removes the air pockets, sets the root ball and helps the roots on the periphery.
$50/tree is a bargain. If you really want them to survive, look at hiring a 96" spade. Cost is about $200 hour and if they are near by, they can move the trees realatively fast. Road time/travel is the killer on the cost of moving trees. With a big spade, cooler weather and a little TLC the first year, you survival rate will be very high. Put the trees where you want and get 1 for a replacement if you need it later.

I have moved 10' tall spruce and white pine with 50" spade but that is pushing the limit. They all survived.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)