AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dekalb or pioneer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JDH SE IA
Posted 8/24/2010 00:11 (#1329594 - in reply to #1329414)
Subject: Re: dekalb or pioneer

Burlington, IA
I think for the indefinite future, as long as the 3 current owners who will remain after the December closing, continue to run the company. My understanding is that P and DuPont have been watching M closely, are determined not to make the same mistakes that M has made, and want the 3 remaining to continue to run the company as they have been. My further understanding is that P and DuP are keeping hands off, and NT will be working directly w/ProAccess, as they have been, which is actually a small group of 10 people, half of which came to PA from outside of P. One current owner will be retiring, but that was a decision already made before any of this transpired, although he will still be available on a consulting basis. Diversity is still supposed to be the name of the game. The NT lineup is/will be actually more diversified than P's.

The only problem w/introducing new M material at this point, is that the flow of new non SS corn and RR2 beans is slowing down, or stopped, which is making it harder to introduce new M material since chances are, NT will not ever be marketing SS or RR2. That was probably also a foregone conclusion before any of this happened. A good example is the fact that for the first time, there are no straight YieldGard CB hybrids in the NT lineup, although there are still some Herc CB hybrids. The YG CB material has, I believe, been pulled from the market. The only reason I can see for no YG CB hybrids is that they have all been withdrawn by M. The NT management is going to continue to work to bring diverse material into the lineup.

Let me say something here. The basis for my comments in this and some other threads concerning the P/NT situation come from conversations/discussions I've had directly with 2 of the current NT owners, with whom I have relationships that go back about 24 and 22-23 years, respectively. In other words, my input is based on information coming to me straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Although you can be sure I'm not telling everything I know. Some of the other comments I've read in some of these threads where the author seems to be so sure of what's going on/what's going to happen, are based mostly on speculation, in my opinion. Which is not directed at you, Steve. People can choose to believe whatever they want, speculation based comments, or comments based on direct discussion with people at the center of it. At this point, with what I know, from men I've known and worked with for years, I am comfortable with the situation as long as they are running the show. If we ever get to the point that they are no longer running the show, then that may change, but I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

JDH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)