AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nutech plot pics SDS at Farm Progress Show
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JDH SE IA
Posted 8/23/2010 12:44 (#1328594 - in reply to #1325629)
Subject: RE: Took some new roads today.

Burlington, IA
Gerald, I wish I had hard surefire answers as to how to prevent or overcome SDS. If I did, I could be a millionaire. :) It's obvious that it's a widespread issue this year.

A person makes the best decisions they can, with the conditions they have to work with, clear up to the time that seed goes in the ground. Once in the ground, with the exception of certain pest, fertility, and weed issues that a person can maybe deal with postemergence, a person is at the mercy of Mother Nature. That's just preaching to the choir.

If any of my own dealers or customers are experiencing SDS, I don't like it, and I wish it were different. But, speaking personally, not having a crystal ball, I don't know that my varietal recommendations going into this planting season would've been any different than what they were. I just know that next year will be as different from this year, as this year is from last year. I don't know that I'd ever ignore a top variety just because it doesn't have the highest available tolerance rating for SDS.

I'm not quite clear on whose demo strips w/SDS you're referring to, NT's, the others, or all. I'll only speak as to the NT plot. I'd venture to say that it, and everything it contains, will stay up right through the show (personal opinion only). As I said earlier, the company has nothing to hide. If nothing else, the plot can be evidence as to what varieties stand up to severe SDS pressure. There's always something that can be learned.

My .02.

JDH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)