AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dekalb or pioneer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 8/22/2010 18:16 (#1327401 - in reply to #1327320)
Subject: Re: dekalb or pioneer

Both are good companies and both get 'lucky' with genetic and transgenetic choices they've made. Who knew that a hybrid like 6169 that is definitely on the race horse side of the scale would have so many years of not being challenged by weather? I don't think even Monsanto guys would be comfortable stating it would be foundation hybrid when it came out. Pioneer had a similar lineup 10 years ago and we did have wind and stalk issues. The game is a little different since the triple stack trait has definitely made the plant healthier later in the season. Perhaps that's the 'magic' of some of dekalb's line up - maybe the way forward, but you wouldn't have guessed it going in. I remember dekalb dealers recommending fungicides pretty strongly for a lot of their line up - not great confidence.

Pioneer is still in catch up mode after being caught flat footed by monsanto buying just about everything else in seed production. They didn't get to be a big player by having generally bad corn though. I've had success with both brands, but it was the switch to pioneer in the late 90's that stabilized (not so many duds) and increased my yields.

Thanks,

Pat

PS: in the end I see way we win as grain producers is to grow lots of it that we can sell at generally low prices so it works for everyone. 300bpa corn at $2.50 is still pretty good money for us and low enough to keep a viable livestock, ethanol and whatever else running smoothly.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)