AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who invented Strip Till?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/2/2010 20:54 (#1298298 - in reply to #1298276)
Subject: Re: Who invented Strip Till?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Loran, I agree there are many different ways of looking at strip till. As I recall however Ray Rawson's 3-coulter system started out as a complete on the planter type setup. Only after years as a planter mounted system did I see it as a standalone system done ahead of the planter in two separate passes. 

By definition I think strip till should be defined as a separate pass from the planter. Anything attached to the planter is a planter attachment. Planter mounted coulters have been around about as long as planters.

As far as north vs south that is another can of worms. The strip till I believe Jim Kinsella started could be defined as corn belt corn/bean strip tillage.

I believe there was a company by the name of Brown Mfg. down south that was heavily involved in developing the deep ripper strip till ahead of cotton in their heavy tight non frost loosened usually low OM soils. I have no idea of when they started that but really a whole different process than northern corn bean strip till. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)