AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

trimble 132 1 Hz?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/31/2007 07:38 (#128560 - in reply to #128495)
Subject: RE: trimble 132 1 Hz?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I agree with the above posts. You will need to "bump" up the BAUD rate or the 132 will not "stick" with the faster HZ settings.

According to my memory (not always the best), the HZ setting will drop back to the fastest possible with a slower BAUD rate. It would be nice if the screen told you this.

The reason for the need for the faster BAUD rate is something like using an elevator to put bales up in the barn. If you want the bales to come out faster on the barn end you need to put them in faster on the ground end. There comes a point where you can't put them in any faster on the ground end because the elevator is moving too slowly and the previous bale is in the way. Your only choice then is to speed up the elevator to provide more room for the next bale. The bales are like the packets of GPS information.

Then again maybe your 132 isn't capable of the faster rate.

I also have some confusion about the HZ rate displayed on the Insight. I use a bench simulator setup to demonstrate and experiment with an Insight at work. The GPS source is a laptop running the Ag Leader GPS simulator program. I have a few "canned" driving patterns that I can start up and feed into the Insight for demonstrating field operations.

The simulator program can be set to output the various NEMA messages, HZ rates, BAUD rates etc. The simulator program initially starts out with all NEMA messages ON and a BAUD rate of 4800 with 1 HZ. These settings can be changed but the program always defaults back to 4800, 1 Hz and all messages ON.

I have used this simulator for quite some time. In the past, if I would change the settings, the Insight would beep that it lost GPS (understandable) and reconnect in a few seconds. Looking at the GPS stauts screens confirmed that the Insight had acknowledged this change.

More recently, when I change the settings on the simulator, the Insight does not seem to respond to the change in the sense that it still reports the old HZ setting. When I view the NEMA messages scrolling by, it is obvious that the simulator is putting them out faster. When I demonstrate Seed Command, the Insight complains that it needs a faster HZ rate.

If I shut down the Insight and repower with the simulator running at the faster settings, the Insight will sometimes acknowledge these faster settings and sometimes not. If I have the simulator set at 5HZ, the Insight often reports 1, 2,4 and sometimes 5. My thought at repowering was that the settings are possibly detected at start up and a change is not acknowledged until the next startup

I believe this "change for the worse" seems to have come about after upgrading to V 4 but I'm not certain. I haven't noticed this problem in a vehicle with a real GPS source but we haven't done that much real field testing this Spring. A Tech at another business has told me that he witnessed this problem with the simulator also - hopefully this is just the case with the simulator.

I may come to more conclusions after this weekend as I will be installing an EZ-Guide 500 with autopilot in one of my tractors today. The GPS out port will be connected to an Insight at times. Changing the GPS out from the 500 is very nice. You get to see a menu with the various settings in one logical, well organized screen. If I get that far, I will try various settings for output and observe how the Insight handles them.

Edited by tedbear 3/31/2007 07:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)