AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Green Pea Harvest and strip till sweet corn pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 7/2/2010 22:18 (#1258597 - in reply to #1258126)
Subject: RE: Green Pea Harvest and strip till sweet corn pics

Driftless SW Wisconsin

The pea harvesters themselves are massive machines and cause quite a bit of compaction.  It was also somewhat wet under all that green residue.  It is likely you will need to add some weight to a three-point mounted toolbar to be able to use the full range of the airbags.

Three point hitches do not provide any downward force at all so all you have is the weight of 30" of toolbar to transfer. I would mount a couple plastic tanks to the toolbar and either use  them for liquid fertilizer or just put some water in the tanks when needed. Then drain it out when not needed.

It is almost always best to add enough down pressure to make the strip in one pass rather than go over a strip twice. The exception is fall and spring passes where the ground has firmed up in between.  I have not seen any conditions anywhere where we could not get into the ground as long as we had sufficient frame weight to be able to adjust the airbag air pressure up yet keep the toolbar gage wheels on the ground.

I would put 28% down with our banded tubes in the strip and forget the broadcast urea. You will get a lot more bang for your fertilizer dollar. This will also give you the toolbar weight increase you need.

I think harvester compaction maybe in certain wetter areas of the field with different soil types is the cause of needing more air pressure.  Whatever you did however looks liked it worked very nicely. IF you wait maybe a couple hours (depending on the weather) Trashwheels on the planter will fracture those clods. Curvetine closing wheels will give you the seed to soil contact especially important for sweet corn, even if it is a bit wet.

Thanks again for the pictures.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 7/2/2010 22:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)