AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wetness-crop conditions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 6/20/2010 15:32 (#1244226 - in reply to #1243563)
Subject: RE: wetness-crop conditions

North Central Illinois
Boy, I wish I knew or had a good answer for you. We are rapidly approaching July and there seems to be a lot of people who don't have all of their crop in the ground. Up until a week or so ago I think the north half of Iowa and a very large part of Minnesota were looking real good as was northern Illinois. There has been quite a bit of rain and storms in some of these areas since. Has it really taken away a lot of yield potential? I don't know. In my area of north central Illinois the crop went in real early in really good conditions. Got off to a really good start. It then turned wet in May. We have some drownd out spots that we haven't had for a good many years but the yellow spots in the corn on corn fields have shrunk a lot and those areas will produce something. These spots look bad and will drag a field average down some but they are really pretty small in the grand scheme of things. I think some really big wild cards are Nebraska, Kansas, and the Dakotas. These states have been producing a large amount of corn the last few years. Someone from one of those states will have to weigh in and tell us just what the situation is. I think Indiana and Ohio are huge question marks as well. I am thinking there are some pretty good crops in places in both states. We know from our friends here at Ag Talk that there is plenty of adversity in those states too. Bottom line is that I don't have a clue but I think we need to at this point assume that the market is going to keep trading a pretty big crop. If planted acres are anywhere near what they thought a couple of months ago they are going to think that we will raise enough. The other side of the coin is demand. Demand appears to be strenghthening at least in the short term. Any percieved shortcomings of the US crop could prompt China to buy even more US corn now thinking they can cancel later if they need to. A lot of uncertaintanty right now for sure. Oh, did I mention LanNina? Depending on who you listen to that could be an issue as well. There has to be a lot of shallow rooted corn so a hot dry second half of the summer is not what we need.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)