AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No Tillers Help Me!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dave F
Posted 5/27/2010 16:22 (#1215872 - in reply to #1215719)
Subject: RE: No Tillers Help Me!

Southeast MN
Your ground is way different than it is here close to the river, but here's what works for me.

1. Nitrogen: I like the way the nh3 toolbar with coulters chops and slightly works the corn stalks where I'm doing corn on corn. In beans, the nh3 bar does a little more tillage than I need but the n comes down to the total applied cost. This year was nh3. Other years I've used 28% applied at planting and seems to be an efficient way to use n but the planting system must be sized so you are not stopping just to reload liquid N.

2. Don't cut the stalks, but I've noticed the bt stuff doesn't rot like the old conventials did and I'm starting to rethink the notill continuous corn on corn program. Leave them attached to the soil and they will pull through the machine. I prefer to wait until the dew is off the stalks to minimize plugging.

3. I put beans in with a 20" planter and like that row spacing better than the 30. 20 seems wide enough that the beans push together to bust through a crust. Maybe go with your drill and block every other drop? I ran a JD7000 for several years and put sheet metal shrouds to keep the transmission chain in place. Row unit chains got a one piece plastic idler and stalks never bothered me again. The main drive chains weren't a problem on my 6 row.

4. I can't comment on the roller, a few use them here if they also do peas for the canning company.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)