AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grazing sorgum sudan grass
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Funacres
Posted 5/15/2010 11:29 (#1200576 - in reply to #1200022)
Subject: RE:Round baled some Japanese

Texas

I have planted Pearl Millet the past three years, cut it pre-boot stage and wrap it for baleage.  Year before last I got three cuttings dryland by doing it this way.  I backgrounded steers on it and took them to 1,000 pounds before sending to the feedlot.  I bale some of it dry for the horses and feed them all summer long on it in a dry lot.  They love it and do well on it free choice.

When it is cut pre-boot, it is finer stemmed and leafier.  If it is allowed to mature further it gets a larger stem/stalk, but still smaller than the Sorghum Sudan does.  I noticed last year that it hung in there during a dry season better than the haygrazer did.  The Pearl Millet has no known disease or pest problems and has been easy to manage the weeds with a pound of Atrazine 4L.  I spray on a little 32% and that is it.  I seeded it at 3 lbs to the acre and paid $25.00 per bag.  Total production costs of $18.69 for direct inputs per acre were:  Seed $1.50; Atrazine 4L & Crop Oil $1.81; 10 gal. 32% $15.38. 

I spray one time for the year and wear myself out after that trying to get it all harvested.  The Pearl Millet starts very slow and needs warm soil to thrive at planting, about 65-70 degrees.  But once it gets a foothold, it really grows fast and will regrow quickly after cutting.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)