AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Elevation Mapping (Pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

aglasergps
Posted 5/8/2010 21:23 (#1190579 - in reply to #1189740)
Subject: Re: Elevation Mapping (Pics)

Brisbane, Australia
mx270a - this is not a big nor difficult issue really. I have done a lot of work in these exact same field scenarios for over 20 years, starting from the simple dos-based landform design packages in the early 80's to exclusively using Multiplane when it became available - and then using the old Geostar or FieldLevel I and II (laser/DGPS or GNSS) systems for machine control. What you describe is a very simple case of designing to provide the type of surface you want. All 3 of your solutions are possible but in my experience, grading to promote surface run-off is still by far the best drainage solution in the long term - especially in heavy rainfall events where moisture penetration is inhibited and ponding tends to occur more readily.

I believe that the ability to grade the whole field or even that part of it that is required to provide enough material to get the surface drainage solution is the way you want to go. I understand from talking to a heap of guys over there that Multiplane was never really used in the USA as it was originally intended to solve design problems like this. This is something that we have done and have now really stretched the program to the point now where we want more that it is capable of delivering.

From my experience, you have the two choices in a situation like this. Design a dedicated drainage line and apply shallow graded batters on either side of it so you could farm through it and not even know it was there OR design a number of sections or hinges that that will create a surface where the run-off flows down the field in the direction you want. Either way, this is achievable with Multiplane but you spend a heap of time on the computer getting it right - but you will get a model that you can use.

Again, there are guys here who try and achieve something similar to this concept with softwares that are basically of derivation of the tiling programs. These I would love to spend more time with and Arnie knows what I am talking about. Unfortunately, that old dinosaur called Multiplane is still the only way to create the definitions in the field designs that either outline the drainage lines specifically with elevation offsets to the rest of the field surface and/or combines that with the ability to direct the runoff in a certain direction and at a specified slope. You can still survey with anything that produces a *.txt file format in x,y,z, and with a bit of data manipulation, get it into Multiplane. I have imported over 100,000 points into Multiplane but it does slow it down with that many points.

For me, there still seems to be a very visible lack of a software that combines the benefit of the capablities I described above and I can only get around it by using a combination of a few other programs and doing a whole heap of data maniplulation that I can get a control file for FieldLevel to level these fields with these type of design dramas. For me, Multiplane in your scenario here will provide a surface drainage solution either way. That is what it was designed for. If that is a problem for you because of who now owns it, I can live with that!

I am always open to checking out any new software to achieve drainage solutions for my customers so if anyone has anything out there, I'd love to look at it. I am big into GNSS FieldLevel and 3-D models and am always looking for better solutions in that regard.

However. if you want me to look at designing something for you for this field, shoot through the survey files you have and I can a go at it for you....................
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)