AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Still another inoculant question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 5/5/2010 12:10 (#1186662 - in reply to #1186583)
Subject: Re: Still another inoculant question

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !
I am certainly not disagreeing with what JDH is saying !

But concerning the work Dr. Jim B Did at OSU

It will be quite interesting to see if that work is confirmed ? duplicated, Replicated in the future ?

For the 2009 season I believe what was Posted on this site was a wash

Jim has spent Much time in Morrow Co. Ohio looking at Friends of his S.B. Fields and Never One time that I know of did he recommend an Inoculation would help, I Know for sure that non use any ! That I have conversations with

the local CPS seldom if ever sell's or has a call for S.B. Inoculation's

I do know the new manager sold a little last season but that was a 1st. in 10 years or so.

the Local County agent did 15 years of very Intense testing of inoculations and Fungicide with not a Positive, duplicate response of either Additive application.

Maybe there are certain and specific situations ???? But replicated side by sides are a must if You want to see what is the situation on Your Farm.

Many will say ? heck, it is cheap ! so what ! i will just go to the effort to buy it and put it on ??? What is a Buck or Two an acre ???

Well, after 10 years that %1.00 can add up ? if You can not document consistent results

If someone drove up and said, Hay, Mr. Farmer ! Just give me $1.00 per acre and You will feel better each season
Its No Big Deal he says ??? What would you tell him ????

If a farm deals with severe Compaction, No, or very little Tile or natural drainage and soils that tend to Go septic ?
Soils with High magnesium or salts ??? Soils with a LOW PH, Or extremely High PH ? Then you may see some what of an advantage !!!

I can Honestly say this from reviewing weigh slips for the past 35 seasons on test sites and Total field, Total farm Sales.
Many More acres of S.B. have produced More Bu sold per acre With OUT !! an Inoculate than With !!!
From My personal Observation

Like a major Seed co. agronomist told me last week as we visited about some Joint projects and testing sites, plots !!! So he was Looking for some Farms with a history of Manure applications for test sites 1

Quote ( If a farm Operation has marginal fertility practices You may want to use an Inoculate }

He Does NOT use an Inoculation so as to test the True vigor and health of the certain and specific seed Viability !

for his Plot work !!

Every situation is certainly different !!! I do admit !
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)