AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Still another inoculant question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JDH SE IA
Posted 5/5/2010 10:12 (#1186583 - in reply to #1186339)
Subject: Re: Still another inoculant question

Burlington, IA
Bob,

I think at the rate things are going weather wise, you'll still see a benefit from seed treatment, since it seems like it's still tending towards cool and wet. The CruiserMaxx will definitely be a plus if there should be an early flush of bean leaf beetles or some other critter, as Gerald mentioned. It's happened here in IA before with blb, and it's definitely fun to walk out in the field and see the little buggers lying around dead, while the guy across the fence is spraying for his. He's paid for seed treatment and then some, if he has to spray. You will still get protection for a while from the insecticide and fungicide in the seed treatment after the beans are up, hence the activity on early flushes of critters. We wouldn't dream of planting corn without a seed treatment now, why would we leave our seed bean investment unprotected? The newer seed treatments work very well.

The new inoculants are much stronger, more effective, and easier to use than the inoculants that our Dads and Grandads used to use, and I believe make a difference, even in a regular bean rotation. Extra N carryover by itself would make an inoculant worth it. I've also been distributing SabrEx and R09 for use in side by sides, and plots, in exchange for yield results this fall. A good, easy to use, inoculant with a high bacterial count should be a plus for you, especially if you're in some of the lighter soils in southern IL. Take a look at Dr. Jim Beuerlein's inoculant studies at Ohio State done over multiple years.

From experience, he sounds a little high on CruiserMaxx, though.

JDH

Edited by JDH SE IA 5/5/2010 10:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)