AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dawn Strip till Pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/2/2010 23:30 (#1183877 - in reply to #1183840)
Subject: RE: Dawn Strip till Pics

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Hello Scott,

I'm glad to see the pictures. I don't have access to our records right now on what model you have - do you have the high speed kit which includes the sheet metal shield over the larger 13 wave blade? there are times in soil conditions as you picture where the 18" 13-wave blade (the forward of the two mid blades) will throw some clods up and out - that is why Joe designed the shield which is a standard part of our high speed kit.

If you have the shield maybe you could slow down a bit in those types of conditions. 6-7mph isa good compromise range. With 12 on 6 especially there is probably some pressure on you to go 8-10 mph and while we can often do that successfully, in some soil conditions it is just too fast.

It looks like you are now planting 30" single rows rather than the twins? I think you will find you like the single rows on the strips. If you have row cleaners on the planter the cleaners will bust those clods nicely after a few hours of sun and wind.

We really work to keep all soil between the two gage wheels at about any speed but I suspect in your condition there that speed may be causing a few clods to be thrown out of the strip. Try slowing down to 6-7mph is probably not what you want to hear but may be the solution.

Thanks for the kind words. You should have no trouble selling the 6 row if you want to go 12 next year. Or just add 6 row units, go to a 12R30 vertical fold toolbar such as a Moore-Built or B&D. Once they get a feel for the system in their conditions folks often setup a 12R30 mounted with a Montag dry cart. Roger Montag has a version of his dry fertilizer cart that also functions as lift assist. This is a nice compact, relatively economical system that will do about anything, the cart wheels stay between the strips and you can actually back up.

Thanks again.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 5/2/2010 23:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)