AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Geothermal and outdoor wood furnace question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 4/17/2010 05:42 (#1164967 - in reply to #1164943)
Subject: RE: Geothermal and outdoor wood furnace question

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
Jim, Do you mean to give the Geo water a boast in heat. In so doing the Geo unit would work better in cold weather.

I sure have given it a lot of thinking time.

But I doubt if it would put out any more heat than just using the hot water to direct heat.

My sister and brother have both went Geo, and both are very happy.
Sister went from winter heating oil costs of close to $1000- a month, to a electric bill that is less than $1000- higher for the entire year.
And with last spring remodel the costs now will be lower.

I talked both of them into Geo. Brother felt it would be the thing, but didn't know about the cost.
Sister put it in, fall of 08. Brother spring of 09.

I have to build a new house to do it.

Added much later:

My idea is a shop. Ground water Geo for forced air heat and also air conditoning in summer. Nothing like a cool place to spent those summer days.
And a corn burning boiler for hot water in the floor.

After the hot water has made it's trip thru the floor it would pass thru a heat exchanger where it would give the geo-water a boast in heat.
This would be after the geo-water has made it's trip thru the ground. Even thou the geo-water has just been warmed up in the ground, it should be considerably cooler than the floor water that has made it's trip thru the floor.

Pretty sure it would work. Would it work better than keeping the two systems seperate? Don't know.
I do know it would cost a lot of money.

Another idea I had was during the summer hot times to run ground water thru the floor heat system. My thinking here was ground water would be about 65º or so during the summer. This 65º water would cool the concrete floor, making the whole shop quite a bit cooler.
A long time mechicalal contractor said - Yes it will cool the floor, but the cool floor would sweat very bad from condensesation. A very slick floor that you would not want to walk on.
But if there was also air conditioning running would that take care of the condensesion on the floor problem?

Edited by Bobby Greif 4/17/2010 08:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)