AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Milo planted on 8 inch or 24 inch rows???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Aggie95
Posted 4/11/2010 01:24 (#1157893 - in reply to #1157074)
Subject: RE: Milo planted on 8 inch or 24 inch rows???

Lubbock, TX
2008 DK 44 Dryland 700-2800 lbs/acre. Irrigated 325-400 gpm pivot- Asgrow 571 6500-7900 lbs/acre. 2009 Irrigated Sorghum Sudan Seed Maize (Hailed on at panicle exertion, 70% defoliation) 4500-5200 lbs/acre. Yields are always relative to topography and water and I can't say I've grown it on the best of either. Those acres go to corn. My yields on irrigated 40" rows seemed to top out at 5000-6000lbs., so I started broadcast seeding. I think it can do 8000+ irrigated. Dryland is tough to get yield w/either method of planting out here. I don't put any fert on it since rain is so uncertain, however you get more residue broadcast, which is great for cotton the next year. I don't believe variety is a issue w/ broadcast. Find a good one for your area, next time I'm going to try Pioneer. The shading effect is a huge seller to me. Water seems to go farther and no more morningglory or pigweed issues. I use 1 qt propazine + 1 pt generic dual with Concep safened seed behind planter and follow up at plant height 3-4" with .5-1 pt Atrazine + 2-4 oz Banvel + .25 oz Peak (Rotation problems w/cotton at higher rates). Plant flat, straight across circle. Post emergence- spray with pivot circle across drill rows. Population- Average 1 seed every 4-6 in. per drill row on irrigated land. I plug every other tube for Dryland to half rate. Good Luck this year!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)