AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you do? Planter & Combine ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NEMOScott
Posted 3/27/2010 22:22 (#1139542 - in reply to #1138899)
Subject: RE: What would you do? Planter & Combine ???

Callao, Missouri
Geez, it reads like some of these guys want to burn you at the stake for having a newer tractor, old combine, and looking for advice.

The way I see it, the ground is probably your biggest problem. We have some ground that is similar, and I try to avoid adding anymore acres like it. If I was you, I would investigate ways to make that ground work a few days sooner. There are some creative ways to do that outside of tile if that is not an option.

A 40ft planter is not more timely when it's stuck more often because of the extra size. Trust me on that one. Been there, got the scars, neighbors have the pictures.

You might be experiencing emergence problems for beans behind that drill because of the way the closing system works. That big cast wheel just seals the slit so that the beans have no hope of pushing through. We had better stands in tight cold clay after switching to a planter-- but I think the drill would still work well if the closing wheel was changed.

Concentrate on making the ground fit sooner, fix anything suspect on the planting equipment, and sell the money pit combine. Get as far from that disk as you can stand. Disked ground can hold scum moisture forever here.

I would say not to use the last two years as examples of the 'norm' for planting....BUT for the ground you are working with its probably not far off. On the creek ground that we farm it almost always goes in or gets wet and can still be hit bad by drought.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)