AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you do? Planter & Combine ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 3/27/2010 21:41 (#1139463 - in reply to #1139312)
Subject: Re:Soybean population.

Gerald J. - 3/27/2010 18:51  I get concerned about beans too far apart to have the strength to crack a crust with low populations and narrow rows. Palle Pedersen preaches low populations being more profitable, and not loosing much yield compared to the cost of seed. Tracy Blackmer is saying 180K produces a bushel or two more than 140K and neglects to consider seed cost vs the value of those at most two bushels increase. Last time I planted beans (2008) I planted 165K because of 90% germ at first and finished at 178K because of 85% germ in June. In mid July filling in I planted 15" (average) rows with the planter set for 178K hoping for canopy. Got some beans but no canopy. Gerald J.

Crusting is not nearly as much of a problem if the beans are no tilled.

We've been no tilling beans in 20" rows @ 140,000 for a few years and have went as low as 100,000 with good results. Haven't had a crusting problem since quitting the recreational tillage.  With seed cost rising we will be going with even lower seeding rates yet.

There are better places to spend money on a bean crop than using 30% more seed, pre-emerge weed control for one.

Edited by Kooiker 3/27/2010 21:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)