AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you do? Planter & Combine ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 3/27/2010 19:51 (#1139312 - in reply to #1139191)
Subject: Re:Soybean population.

Last week I posted at: http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=157364&mid=112... based on ISU and Iowa Soybean Association research.

March 12 I ran on and on: http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=155679&mid=111...

On the first of March I posted:

"Look back at back pasts. Last week I posted that ISU's guru (who just moved to Syngenta) says lower population gives the best economic yield, like planting 125K (before the last day of average frost) and hoping for 85K stand, while the Iowa Soybean Association's guru says 180K gave more yield than 140K, though the differences in their raw data from plots that I saw are small, mostly less than 2 bushels per acre and that will almost pay for the seed cost difference.

"Seems like the rate has a very small effect on production as if production is limited by the total available nutrition, including water and sunlight."

I get concerned about beans too far apart to have the strength to crack a crust with low populations and narrow rows. Palle Pedersen preaches low populations being more profitable, and not loosing much yield compared to the cost of seed. Tracy Blackmer is saying 180K produces a bushel or two more than 140K and neglects to consider seed cost vs the value of those at most two bushels increase.

Last time I planted beans (2008) I planted 165K because of 90% germ at first and finished at 178K because of 85% germ in June. In mid July filling in I planted 15" (average) rows with the planter set for 178K hoping for canopy. Got some beans but no canopy.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)