AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you do? Planter & Combine ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Thud
Posted 3/27/2010 13:37 (#1138944 - in reply to #1138899)
Subject: Re: What would you do? Planter & Combine ???

Near-north Ontario, French River
Do you do other things besides growing grain crops( maybe into dairy or pigs ,do a lot of custom work, off farm jobs??) Reason I ask is you seem , to this outsider, to be way over equiped for the number of acres you are covering. Now if you are into dairy or have full time off farm work which puts serious time constraints on planting I can understand , not judging, just how I see it from 'here". You mention that getting the beans planted can be a major problem so for the money I would look at updating your drill,assuming you have the hp to pull it, to a 20ft .Our fields are similar in size as yours, and irregular shaped but planting 60 acres a day with our 15ft drill isnt usually too difficult even with moves/filling . If you can cover 60ac/day with the 15ft, you should have your 500 acres planted in 8.3 days,,, going to a 20ft drill you should get it done in 6.25 days. In your situation, it may be better to maintain a drill and a planter ( vs going to a larger single planter) as you maintain the ability to plant both corn and beans at the same time, which by the sounds of it is critical for you if bad weather is approaching.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)