AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? for southern farmers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Deadduck
Posted 3/21/2010 15:00 (#1129621 - in reply to #1129533)
Subject: Re: ? for southern farmers.

Northeast Louisiana
Land is cheaper down here than the top land in the midwest, no doubt. But there's a reason for that. We have much hotter and drier summers. We have many more insect, weed, and fungi pests. Due to this, our yeilds are more inconsistant year to year than your typical prime midwestern farm, and we have to spend a lot more on our crops to make them.

Like High Cotton said, I think it has to do with spreading out risk, having a farm they can work early then go home to plant the crops up there. Personally, I have no desire to do that type of farming, but if you need to expand, I guess you have to do something.

We tend to get a lot of folks from Missouri down here. A lot of them moved down in the 70's. I've seen some guys come down here and do pretty well, and I've seen some go broke. Sometimes they do rent flood-prone land that locals avoid. Sometimes they bid the rents up too high to get the land from the locals, only to figure out that they can't be profitable paying those high rents down here. But some do well and wind up moving down here for good. Just all depends on how good of managers they are and how good the land they got was.

Edited by Deadduck 3/21/2010 15:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)