AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Your Pantry - Putting Food By
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

JDTECH
Posted 3/11/2010 18:36 (#1115748 - in reply to #1115555)
Subject: Re: Your Pantry - Putting Food By

NEMO
Several years ago I partitioned off part of the basement where the washer and dryer are located and lined the remaining walls with shelves to keep non-perishables. Always buy in bulk or quantity when on sale. Usually grow grean beans, peas, potatoes, carrots, radishes, tomatoes, pickles, cantelopes in our garden. Used to grow sweet corn, but my neighbor as well as my Dad both plant some end rows in thier corn fields in sweet corn so I have all I want with out having to grow it. Always freeze the peas and sweet corn, can the grean beans, pickles. Usually butcher a cow from my fil, and a couple of hogs from my neighbor every year and fill the 2 freezers in the basement. Also buy meat when on sale as well. I'm lucky enough to have a fairly good size wild blackberry and raspberry patch and usually pick several gallons, freezing most of them. And when the "hunting gods" are smiling on my son and I, we usually add a couple of deer, turkey, some rabbit, squirrel, quail and dove to the freezer as well as all the bass, catfish, crappie and bluegill we can catch. I also find 2 or 3 snapping turtles every year to add to the freezer as well. I made the comment once that I could quit my job and we could live off the land, but that went over like a lead ballon. LOL!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)