AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Big service trucks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CJDave
Posted 3/10/2010 18:00 (#1114100 - in reply to #1113356)
Subject: Re: Big service trucks

Southeast Iowa
The last service truck I bought at auction had a compressor just behind the cab; a two-cylinder Quincy; that was belt-driven from a small jackshaft between the frame rails. The front of the jack shaft was coupled to a transmission PTO with a very short driveline. The compressor had a regular unloader on the head which cut it off when the tank pressure was all the way up, and at the same time it released the pressure in a little airline that went to a small air pot that increased the truck engine idle speed while the compressor was pumping. It must have had thousands of hours on it, because the PTO unit, AND the small driveline were COMPLETELY worn out. Still functional, but worn out. The 21500 GVW GMC truck (gas) brought a very low price (1200) because the sale bill disclosed that it had a horrible vibration in the drive train. We had to roll under and tighten the big nut that held the e-brake drum on the back of the tranny to even get it home. Between that waddled out tranny shaft and the worn out PTO, we decided the truck needed a four-speed-to-five speed tranny upgrade. It made a terrific service truck for us, and in the twelve years we had it, we put a slew of miles on it. For the life of me I cannot remember what make that service body was; the swinging crane was a 24-Volt Auto-Crane, I remember that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)