AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

planters and corn stalks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 2/26/2007 00:18 (#111226)
Subject: planters and corn stalks

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
Greetings to all,

I enjoyed the posts below on the Case/IH 1200 planter. As a "Red" guy, I am pleased to see many happy owners. But, I am still running a 955.

Whether it is Case/IH, JD, or Kinze doesn't matter with my question. That is, do corn stalks bother the bicycle chains that run the row units when planting no-till? On my 955, I have had corn stalks while planting beans run the insecticide drive chains off when I haven't taken them off the planter.

So, I have to wonder how other planter keep those chains on... especially the Case/IH 1200 12/23 and 16/31 planters with all those row units so close together.

And, have you had much problem with the 30/15" planters handling heavy cornstalks? Do the narrow guage wheels provide enough support of the row unit in soft soils like with strip till?

How do those bulk fill pivot planters handle mud and wet spots?

I would like to upgrade planters someday but have wondered if my concerns are valid. I have my old 955 12-30 planter pretty well understood but am considering 15" beans as well as the improved in-row spacing of the 1200 unit. And, of course, no-till capability is a requirement and I like how the "Early Riser" row unit engages the soil.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)