AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looks like i might ave some dry dirt for this weekend!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

thor
Posted 3/5/2010 06:31 (#1105782 - in reply to #1105649)
Subject: RE: Looks like i might ave some dry dirt for this weekend!!

northern MN

In 1980 we started seeding on Sunday, we must have worked the ground the day before, I don't really remember that but definite we started seeding on Sunday. The reason it stands out is that we began the day by filling the 1086 with gasoline, ouch. Got to the field and pulled the hitch off the liquid fertilizer tank we pulled with the drill breaking the hose loosing significant fert and a oil. The year would turn to the worst drought that had been seen in our area since the 30s.

I think it was a reminder that there are things more important than getting in one day earlier. Since, we begin nothing important on Sunday, I don't believe God forbids us from working on Sunday I just think he was reminding ME to prioritize a bit better. What would I do? Go to Church on Sunday and come home, if it still looks like rain on Monday I'd wait. If it looks like you can seed the next day go work it. Around here the worst thing is to work ground in the spring and get rain on it before you seed it. Our ground turns to glue if it gets rained on after being worked.

It took a few years of reflection and problems with Sunday's adventures before I came to this conclusion. It certainly is something I want to pass to the next generation because I believe what I have stated to be true. The least expensive lessons are the ones learned though someone else s experience.

Edited by thor 3/5/2010 06:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)