AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fill me in on augers on a wagon for seed.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Stacy
Posted 2/28/2010 20:39 (#1098775 - in reply to #1098710)
Subject: Re: Fill me in on augers on a wagon for seed.....

Triplett / Brunswick MO / Brookfield
I have a 400 busheel twin compartment wagon with a Honda driven hydrualic unit. The motor and hydraulic unit are mounted under the rear slope of the wagon, it doesn't stick out past the rear of the wagon. I have a 16' auger with a two piece slide tube attached to it. I can fill a 16/32 Kinze without moving. When I back up to the wagon, placement isn't critical, I've never had to reposition the tractor and planter to fill it.

A 16' auger would not work well on a small empty wagon, might be a little tippy. This isn't a cheap setup, but you are able to take plenty of beans to the field each day, and you will always have a pickup around if you need one. I put a Shur-Lok jr tarp on mine, and leave it in the field overnight, it's rain tight.

A truck set up with an auger is the cheapest, if you have a truck to use. I just wanted to be able to take two varieties to the field and not have to climb over the back of the truck to empty it out. The truck will not load a 16/31 without moving. I also wanted to have a pickup near.

You'll see all kinds of aurguments on which auger to use. I've seen brush augers that after a couple of seasons really cracked a lot of beans. However, I do think there are some good brush augers being built today that may be a lot better than the old ones. I use a cupped steel auger and run it full and slow. I've never had a problem cracking beans. We talked one of our customers into a steel auger instead of bristles or plastic (on a truck auger).; it was however a different brand than mine, but one we've heard good things about. Well, long story short, his auger cracked quite a few beans and he took the flighting out and replaced it with somethin else.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)