AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nine years ago
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

John Burns
Posted 9/25/2024 16:01 (#10904449 - in reply to #10904423)
Subject: RE: Six years ago

Pittsburg, Kansas

I don't eat breakfast. Once you are fat adapted that is actually no problem. I am not hungry till around noon or after. Used to be nearly always had a snack mid morning because was hungry after a breakfast of cereal and milk. Get off the starchy sugary carbs and hunger is no longer a problem.

Lunch today had a double 1/3# hamburger patty topped with bacon and two over medium eggs. The hamburger comes with a little lettuce, onion, pickle and tomato and I ate all that plus the lettuce and tomato off my wifes single burger. No bread.

For supper the meal will center around some meat. Usually beef or pork. Usually around 2/3 to 1 pound for me. Often a side dish made low carb. Might be a casserole of some sort. Wife has several different ones she uses. Often times dill pickles, olives and pretty often either a half avocado or guacamole salad with pork rinds to dip. Every night a low carb desert. Wife has a half dozen different recipes she makes up ahead of time that will last five or six days as individual servings.

I try to keep my total carbs for the day under 20 grams. I never actually count them anymore. We just know what is low carb, what is medium carb (limit portion size of those) and high carb (totally eliminated). The first few weeks of diet change we looked up foods to see their carb contents. After that we knew and no longer had to look things up. We just know what to avoid and what to limit.
Be aware if you are on diabetic medicines the dose may need to be reduced or eliminated if you go low carb. If the medications boost insulin production you could suffer from blood sugar going low. That sucks, as I am very familiar with the condition in the past.

Do we ever stray? Of course. We spent a month in Indonesia at resorts and ate buffets most of the time while there. We were limited on choices. I would guess we were more closer to 100 grams carbs total a day while there. A standard American diet is said to be around 300 grams (without a lot of sugar drinks or deserts) so a person eating more "normal" stuff is likely to be around 300 grams and if they sip on pop all day or eat a lot of deserts or high sugar fruit could easily be at 400 or more grams, just to give you an idea. So we did "pretty good" while in Indonesia considering our choices. I ate a lot more fruit for desert than I would have at home and different fruit.

If you want good direction on going low carb go to Youtube and do some or all of the following searches:
Dr Ken Berry Keto 101
Butter Bob Briggs
Dr David Unwin
Dr Eric Westman

Start listening to or following any one or all of them.

Also do a Youtube search for "low carb down under". Lots of good doctors and researchers presentations there.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)