AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Well boys, this one was a doosey!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Erik in SD
Posted 8/11/2024 18:21 (#10847372)
Subject: Well boys, this one was a doosey!

East Central SD
For those that have kept up with my story, I'm nearly 2½ years cancer free. After chemo and radiation, I've had 3 surgeries at Mayo, which resulted in multiple hernias in the incision sites. Dr's wanted me cancer free for 2 years before they would repair them, so I got the go-ahead this spring. It was now, or November, and I opted to get it done now.
The surgery involved reattaching my ab muscles to my side muscles on my right side, then going in robotically through 5 holes to separate my ab muscles into 2 layers, and placing a 12x15" mesh patch vertically between them in my abdomen. She then did a little plastic work to clean up my ostomy scar and make it less noticeable.
My surgeon was Dr. Horne, head of hernia repair at Mayo, aka the Hernia Barbie on the socials. I kid you not! Impressive gal for sure.
Like I said, this surgery was rough. I was intubated for over 7 hrs, and she carved on my for 6½. It felt like I was beat in the gut with a hyd hose with an end on it for 7 hrs. Sore! This one was worse than the previous 3 combined. I woke up Thursday evening, and did my best to eat, pee, walk and do everything I was told and got home last night. I slept for 12 hrs last night, then was able to get up and dress myself while the family was at church this morning. I still have one drain in my belly, but can get around ok. I try and walk for 15 minutes every couple hours.
Like previous stays, my nurses have been amazing. They deserve all of our respect. If you haven't been in the position to need them, one day you might, so treat them well.

Amy is my rock, and the boys can handle the yard work and have been scouting beans for aphids for me. I'm sure going to miss them when school starts up again!

(20240705_183619 (full).jpg)

(20240725_144154 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20240705_183619 (full).jpg (103KB - 129 downloads)
Attachments 20240725_144154 (full).jpg (103KB - 144 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)