AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Solar power and big battery storage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

junk fun
Posted 8/10/2024 16:10 (#10846140 - in reply to #10846130)
Subject: RE: Solar power and big battery storage

Wisconsin
No they won't, and battery storage does not meld well with solar production for day to night storage at this point, it's too expensive and has to be used for hour by hour "peak shaving" to pay. Pumped hydro is good for daily storage, but it's not pumping by solar as far as I've heard. It's pumped, or held back, at night, and produces power during the daily peak in the afternoon typically, opposite of solar storage.

Used EV batteries will go to off grid sources for the time being. Eventually, politicians may force us all to have battery storage on the grid, but even then I doubt they'll make it possible. More likely they'll divert all the profits "to the big guy" and write the rules so the little guy is not able to store his own power with the same rules.

I was thinking the opposite, 200mega watts might be the battery intstantaneous output, but the solar is less than that. 200mw of solar is about 2,000 acres and roughly $200million in panels and racks. 200mw of battery would be about $40 million dollars of consumer grade battery.

Edited by junk fun 8/10/2024 16:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)