AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A humorous question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Expensive Hobby
Posted 7/26/2024 11:20 (#10827020 - in reply to #10826742)
Subject: RE: The American Tractor?

NW Missouri
A 6 speed powershift is just a 3 speed with a splitter. They both go to 1st when you "clutch" them.

I won't argue - we each like what we like. But I will explain my thoughts.

For mowing with the 9190, 3rd is the right gear for good running, but 3rd direct is a little fast for turning. Can't use under if you're going downhill at all. If the ground is a little rough, 2nd is the gear you have to use, but 2nd over isn't fast enough for the smooth parts of the field. It's been a handful of years, maybe it was 4th and 3rd instead of 3rd and 2nd, but you get my point.

For mowing with the 3594, put it in 2nd and leave it there. 2-1 is plenty slow enough for rough ground or turns, 2-6 is fast enough for good running. Never have to clutch it because you rarely stop.

For baling with the 9190, each gear has only 2 options for speed if you are going downhill. I was using 3rd as the ground was rough and hilly. As I stated above, the grinding issue may have been that I was shifting to neutral as I came to a stop instead of coming to a full stop before moving the shift lever at all.

To me, the case powershift is the best pre-shuttle transmission you can have and it is especially good when baling (or for loader work). Stick it in 3rd, and you have 3/6 forward gears and 1 reverse gear and you never have to grind at all - clutch it and come mostly to a stop, and off you go in the other direction. We have not had powershift issues and have had many tractors with that transmission over the years.

All that said, a shuttle shift will beat all this old stuff hands down.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)