AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

why did jd
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

The Pretender
Posted 7/26/2024 03:56 (#10826571 - in reply to #10826541)
Subject: RE: why did jd

The Internet

Kochia - 7/26/2024 06:53
The Pretender - 7/25/2024 04:57

Kochia - 7/25/2024 03:22
The Pretender - 7/24/2024 04:52

Kochia - 7/24/2024 08:48
The Pretender - 7/24/2024 01:27

They will still have them here. I use them all the time.

It's my considered opinion that the reason wet clutches were adopted earlier in Deere's and North Amercian tractors is the lack of foot throttle that would mean a dry clutch would get burnt out

You're going to have to explain your reasoning there as I'm not seeing how a foot pedal helps in starting or "creeping".

The lower the revs you inch at, the less wear on the clutch. I've had my own cars for 35 years, all have been manual, all have a dry clutch. The traffic around here is horrific. I've never warn a clutch out. You have way more control with a foot throttle. Never mind the noise and fuel use. I cannot see a single reason not have one, and using the hand throttle on a loader tractor sounds crazy. In my youth the farmer didn't like repairing machines, when the foot throttle cables broke, he never repaired them. Driving the tractors was a ball ache. The tractors I used when I was in the USA had no foot throttle, utterly pain full

I'm still not seeing the point. Are you saying your engine idle speeds are too low in equipment over there? Here idle is ~1000 and that is enough to get started in road or field gears in...well...everything. Even the Farmall B you can start in 4th at idle. Loader work you stick it at 1200 or so and leave it. No need to be roaring around when you can shift up or down. Then again loader work is short distances here. If you mean for what we use trucks for, then I can understand...except those are dry clutches.

The engine idle speed will be the same, it's much easier to inch up to things when you have control over the engine revs. Even drilling, now I have a hydraulic fan I don't use the hand throttle (never have on the Masseys) or the engine pre set, I manouver on the headlands with the foot throttle, ease it up to 1100rpm once in work them press the DTM and let the tractor get on with it. Much smoother and quieter

I guess I'm not seeing why you can't inch up the throttle by hand, as in: One hand on the wheel One hand on the throttle One foot on the brake One foot on the clutch I also not seeing how the wet vs dry clutch thing fits in either. We have equipment with a deaccelator, that is real handy, but the one tractor that does have a foot throttle I don't see its point. Short fields or fields with lots of obstacles maybe. In the fields you only slow down on the ends so it would get old having to hold the pedal down. In a way, this is a "cruise control vs no cruise control" argument...but it makes less sense. Like trying to argue dry clutches are superior in equipment...

It's a lot easier to operate the machine, be it car, truck or tractor if you can regulate the engine RPM and clutch with your feet. I wish our sprayer had a foot throttle instead of the hydro handle on the road

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)